• 1 c flour
• 2 T sugar
• 1/2 t salt
• 1/2 t Meyer lemon zest
• 1 stick cold butter
• 1/2 t vanilla extract
1. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest.
2. Cut in thick slices of butter with fork until dough roughly holds together.
3. Stir in water and vanilla. Shape into disk and refrigerate in plastic wrap for a half hour.
4. Press dough into tart pan, then bake at 375 degrees until golden for 25 minutes.
5. Remove tart from oven, then increase temperature to 400 degrees.
Lemon Curd Filling
• 2 large eggs
• 3 large egg yolks
• 1/4 c and 2 T sugar
• 1/4 t cornstarch
• 3T Meyer lemon zest
• 1/3c Meyer lemon juice
• 6 T butter, cut into pieces
1. While tart crust is in the oven, whisk eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch
2. Whisk in lemon zest & juice
3. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thick (5-10m)
4. Remove pan from heat and whisk in butter, one piece at a time
5. Pour into tart shell and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees until slightly brown and/or set
5b. Midway through baking, check and deflate puffiness- I lined the outer edges of my tart with lemon slices, leaving the inside clean. It puffed up very slightly, requiring a knife poke
5c. If you cover or decorate the tart with lemons, its a good idea to coat the lemons with brown sugar beforehand-perhaps dip them in sugar to coat both sides. They retain tartness after baking, which is delicious/interesting but not for all palates.
6. Decorate with dried lemon verbena and serve warm or chilled
via Martha Stewart